TWI—Training Within Industry
The “J” Trainings
You want more out of your operation, but you are concerned…
- You can’t get “good people” for your jobs
- You’re constantly expected to do more with less
- Bringing in more employees will mean more drama and conflict
- Your frontline supervisors need skills in training, and conflict resolution
- You have out of control processes and not enough support to fix them
- You need to increase safety, but don’t want productivity to drop
- How to create a positive employee workplace but not sure where to start?
TWI is the fundamental skillset for individual and organizational improvement.
- People Development: Supervisors quickly increase in skill for training new jobs
- Develop an actionable cross training plan
- Align training documents with other certification documentation (Quality Systems, SOPs etc.)
- Worksite Improvement
- Teach a repeatable system that allows managers and team members to assess current operations and improve without experiencing a massive capital expenditure
- Team management
- New and existing leaders get a framework for managing people, dealing with conflict and getting results through their teams
- Skills, stability, safety and confidence quickly developed
- Frontline people become catalyst for sustainable results in the workplace
- The fundamental skillsets in place for problem solving, standard work, continuous improvement, operational excellence, and Lean initiatives
- Positive employee relations, conflict resolution, increased cooperation, and motivation foundations in place
Attendees not only learn a well-defined and easy-to-implement method for each skill but bring in actual jobs from their own worksites in a “learn-by-doing” approach that is efficient and effective.
Training Within Industry (TWI) is a dynamic program of hands-on learning and practice, teaching essential skills for supervisors, team leaders, and anyone who directs the work of others from all industries and vocations. TWI teaches the skills of Job Instruction (JI), Job Methods (JM) improvement, and Job Relations (JR). To support a continuous improvement environment, employees need to develop the skills represented in these three modules: JI, JM, and JR. By doing so, TWI provides an immediate ROI for companies by utilizing the productive potential of their employees.
- Job Instruction: Quickly training employees to do a job correctly, safely, and conscientiously.
- Attendees are taught how to effectively breakdown a job and deliver instruction for individual tasks.
- JI method prepares the operator to learn, giving a proper demonstration from a breakdown, observing the operator perform the task, and tapering off coaching with proper follow-up.
Job Methods: Improving the way jobs are done for continual improvement.
- Participants are taught how to break down jobs into their constituent operations. Every detail is questioned in a systematic manner to generate ideas for improvement. New methods are developed by eliminating, combining, rearranging, and simplifying steps in the process.
- JM yields significant benefits including reduced cost through productivity gains, increased throughput, and reduced work in process.
- Job Relations: Building positive employee relations, increasing cooperation and motivation, and effectively resolving conflict.
- Job Relations teaches the foundations of positive employee relations
- When problems do arise, JR teaches a proven method of getting the facts, weighing options, deciding, taking action, and checking results.
Typical class size is up to 10 attendees.
Each “module” consists of:
5 site visits @ 2 hours each = 10 hours of total training & instruction
Materials and coursework
Total commitment for the TWI Bundle Option (JI, JM, JR) is 30 hours of instruction.